Why do we use Polartec® Power Dry® for drysuit diving?
Polartec® Power Dry® fabrics are designed to keep your skin dry when you sweat. All fabrics in this series feature a patented bi-component knit construction that uses different yarns on either side of the fabric. This creates two different surfaces: one that is optimized to move moisture away from the skin, the other to dry quickly.
How Does It Work?
Moisture and high relative humidity next to the skin cause discomfort. Polartec® Power Dry® keeps the skin dry through three complementary mechanisms:
- The fabric is highly breathable and does not restrict the movement of moisture vapor.
- “Touch points“ on the fabric inner surface draw off the sweat. Sweat is wicked off the skin to the
outside of the fabric where it spreads rapidly for evaporation. Polartec® Power Dry® fabrics move at
least 30% more moisture away from the skin than single component fabrics.
- When the sweat reaches the outside of the fabric, it spreads out to many times its original surface area, enabling it to dry at least 2 times faster than cotton.
- UPF Sun Protection
UPF Sun Protection
Polartec® Power Dry® fabrics provide ultraviolet sun protection while keeping your skin dry and comfortable when you sweat. Most light, mid, and heavy weight Polartec® Power Dry® fabrics are now certified for ultraviolet protection.
Ultraviolet light is a composite of UVA and UVB rays, both harmful to the skin. Our certified Polartec® fabrics help to protect against both.
A rating, Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF), is now available for most Polartec® Power Dry® fabrics which meets national UV testing and labeling standards: ASTM D6544, ASTM, D6603, AATCC 183.
- Patented bi-component construction has superior wicking action which keeps your skin dry when you sweat
- Highly breathable to provide comfort in all activities; does not restrict the movement of moisture vapor
- Dries quickly
- Soft surface next-to-skin provides all-day comfort
- Machine washable
- Provides good sun protection (UPF 15) in most styles
DUI drysuit insulation DUI divewear insulation offers sun protection
©2006 Malden Mills Industries, Inc. Malden Mills®, Polartec®, and Power Stretch® are trademarks registered in the United States and in other jurisdictions for fabrics available only from Malden Mills Industries, Inc.